Important: Please note that this information is correct as of the time of publishing. This article was last updated 09/04/2020.
After a long, dark winter of lockdown, the 12th of April is almost upon us, and with it the second stage of our national unlock. Gym Bubbas, along with many other similar businesses, will finally be allowed to reopen and a further degree of normality can start to creep back into our lives. Upon reopening, all of the safety measures that were in place before Christmas will remain along with some minor tweaks and updates. As such, can we please ask all parents to reread all of the guidance we have published here so that we can welcome everyone back safely.
A Message from Kate and Wayne
We have been super busy in the gym implementing the government guidelines and amending our procedures to allow us to deliver a safe environment for your classes. Please, not only read through this guidance but also watch our walk-through videos.
As always your safety is our number one concern, which is why we have implemented these changes. In addition to this, it is always a core value of Gym Bubbas that when you attend classes you feel at ease and have fun!
Kate and Wayne Child”
Updated Face Mask Rules
In line with recent changes published by the government, we must now ask that face masks are always worn when in the foyer, kitchen and toilet areas of the gyms.
For classes where parents are active participants, face coverings are only required at certain times during the session. When attending classes, your instructors will inform you of when a face covering will be required and when it will not, so if you are ever unsure please ask a member of staff. Face coverings will still need to be worn outside of the gym area as usual.
As with everything, these rules are subject to change as and when the guidance is updated further.
A Note on Parent Restrictions
To ensure that we keep to our legal capacity requirements for each gym, we regrettably have to insist that every child participating in a class is only accompanied by one adult. This is due to the government changing its definitions regarding person limits to now include children, even babies. We are aware of how complicated and troublesome this will make attending classes for many of our families, but unfortunately we have to abide by this restriction.
As such the we are asking that if your child is in a class that requires you to be in the gym with them, that you bring no one else to watch.
For independent classes (3.5 – 12 years) please only stay in the foyer if necessary (e.g. if you child cannot go to the toilet independently). Please wait with you child until the start of their session and then leave to sit in your car or ‘drop and go’.
Arrive 5 minutes before the end of class to collect your child from the foyer or just outside the front door (no child will be allowed to leave without a parent/carer present). This will allow us to ensure there is space for anyone that has no option but to wait in the foyer and to keep overall numbers in the building down.
If numbers in gym exceed maximum capacity please do not be offended if we ask you to leave or wait outside, we must keep to our designated levels to keep the gym open. Don’t forget to ensure your contact information is up to date.
We also now have the NHS QR code displayed for you to scan, with your phone, using the NHS COVID-19 App. This ensures we remain compliant with the compulsory test and trace system.
Outside and in the Foyer
Cleaning and General Information
Outside and in the foyer
- We have installed new signage for all members on the front doors and throughout the building, reminding people about social distancing and our new policies in the gym. This allows every person to know what we are doing and what we would like you to do.
- In line with government guidelines we advise, where possible, for everyone to come to gym via car, bike or walking.
- There are designated entry and exit points to the building, facilitating a one-way system, these will be clearly marked for you on the doors and floor.
- Outside the building you will find chevron markers to give you a clear visual of distance, these are designated queueing areas should you need them (but we do not envisage you will!)
- In the foyer you will find new ‘road map’ social distancing markers. This is to provide the tools for social distancing whilst still being fun for the children. All chairs are positioned 1.5m apart on the ‘chevron markers’ and must be kept in position to ensure social distancing is adhered to.
- Our Coffee machine will still be available to use. We have disposable cups and single use items to avoid any cross contamination, just pop your £1 in the pot as normal.
- For the toilets you will find a designated waiting area allowing people to access them while social distancing.
- We request that you only arrive to the gym 5 minutes before the start of your class. We have changed our timetables to ensure each class has a 15-minute gap, allowing for the previous class to leave before the next class arrives. By arriving 5 minutes before the session we can ensure there is only a minimum amount of people in the building at any one time. This also allows us time to deep clean in between each session. From time to time you may be asked to wait a short time to get into the building to ensure we are not spray cleaning while you are in the building.
- For each child that attends class we request that only one parent attends the gym, this is to keep the number of people in the building at any one time to a minimum.
- For parents with children in independent classes (3.5 – 12 years) we encourage you to ‘drop and go’ again to minimise the amount of people in the building. Children should only be left if they can take themselves to the toilet when needed. If you are dropping, you child you must stay with them until their session has started and arrive to collect 5 minutes before the end of the session. The class instructor will ensure the safe collection of each child in the session. Please ensure your contact details are up to date and you have your mobile with you so we can contact you in the event of an emergency.
- We encourage parents where possible to not bring siblings to sessions by offering you to attend a weekend session etc. If that is not possible and siblings do attend the gym please be aware the play area is currently not available, so you may want to bring a tablet or activity to keep them busy.
- If you attend back to back classes with siblings, you may be asked to step out of the building during our 15 min gap between classes for cleaning.
- The play area at each site is currently not in use (at Estover it has become the new front desk area) This will not be forever but is important at the moment to allow space for social distancing and reduce cleaning for staff.
- Please come to gym dressed for class (e.g. leotards, tracksuit bottoms, T-shirts etc) to avoid having to change in the foyer.
- All personal belongings are to be placed under your chair.
- Drinks bottles must be labelled and should be kept with your belongings, children will be sent out of their session in small groups to get a drink.
- Ensure you take all personal belongings with you when you leave the gym as unfortunately lost property cannot be kept at this time.
- As always earrings and jewellery must be removed or taped prior to the start of class. Earring tape will no longer be available from us. Please bring your own tape or remove earrings prior to the start of your session.
- In the gym on the group mat we will encourage social distancing using space markers.
- For independent sessions social distancing will be encouraged by instructors, with lesson plan structure reflecting this.
- For younger children (parent / child classes) it is important to remember that, as the government suggests, early years children cannot be expected to social distance. In line with the EYFS guidance the control of coronavirus should be minimised by cleaning hands more thoroughly, increased equipment cleaning and good respiratory hygiene (catch it, bin it, kill it). However having parents in the gym and the structure of our sessions will encourage social distancing as well.
- The gym equipment has been set up a minimum of 1.5m apart to encourage social distancing.
- Directional arrows have been located on the floor show the direction of travel on a series of equipment, limiting the risk of face to face contact.
- In the gym you will see our instructors wearing microphones to teach class. This is to reduce the need for them to raise their voices when leading a session.
- The supporting of skills will be kept to a minimal, gymnastics by its nature involves risk when completing skills. Instructors will continue to physically support children on skills to ensure their safety.
- All instructors have been issued with masks and visors. You may see instructors wearing PPE throughout sessions. PPE will be mandatory for instructors when preforming close contact supports.
- Facemasks for adults attending the gym are strongly advised.
- Government guidelines state that classes should have a maximum of 15, with our already low ratios our classes fall under this amount.
- Scientific evidence suggests that there is a high degree of confidence that the susceptibility to clinical disease of young children (up to the age of 11 – 13) is lower than for adults, however with any social contact an element of risk is involved. By attending gym, like going to school or nursery, children will come into contact with other children and adults in the gym environment. The risk is minimised by the
- measures put in place.
General and cleaning information
- New hand sanitizer stations have been installed in the foyer and gym area, to use at any time throughout your time at the gym.
- Everyone is requested to wash / sanitise their hands before and after each session, to keep the risk of cross contamination low.
- In between each session the gym will be cleaned. This includes a full cleaning spray of all gym equipment, spray of all chairs in foyer, clean of touch points in the gym and foyer, toilet clean and cleaning of any hand apparatus used in the session.
- Our cancellation and make up policy will remain in place. We are asking for everyone to keep cancellations and make up sessions to a minimum and only cancel and make up sessions where essential.
- All staff will attend the gym each day in freshly laundered clothes and we ask that this is the same for parents and children.
- All staff members will have temperature checks at the beginning and throughout the day.
- Everyone attending the gym should follow public health England’s advice of washing hand regularly, ensure sneezes are caught in a tissue and to not attend gym if they have any symptoms of coronavirus.
- Parents are asked to report any case of COVID-19 as soon as possible to any staff member. Kate Child is Gym Bubbas designated COVID Officer and will ensure government policy is implemented should a case of COVID-19 be present in the gym.
- The government track and trace system is being implemented to reduce the spread of coronavirus. By attending classes, you agree to us passing you contact information to the track and trace service should the need require.
- All the above requirements and advice is the result of vigorous risk assessments and are subject to change in line with updated government guidance.
As always if you have any questions about our new policies and procedures please do not hesitate to contact us.